According to Pentax, the Pentax K200D model is designed "mainly for family users and digital camera beginners, this popular-class model offers a host of user-friendly features and sophisticated functions like higher-class models. As a result, even digital camera beginners can enjoy advanced digital SLR photography with great ease."
- PENTAX-original SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism for sharp, blur-free images
- High quality 10.2 MP CCD sensor and Pentax PRIME (PENTAX Real Image Engine)
- Dust-proof, water-resistant construction
- Large 2.7-inch, 230,000 dot, wide-view LCD monitor
- Energy saving design
- Simultaneous recording of RAW- and JPEG-format images
- In-body development of recorded RAW-format images
Main Technical Specifications:
- Camera Type: TTL autofocus, auto-exposure digital SLR digital-still camera with built-in retractable P-TTL auto pop-up flash
- Effective Pixels: 10.2 megapixels
- Sensor Type: 23.5mm x 15.7mm Interline interlace CCD with a primary colour filter
- Sensitivity: Auto, Manual : 100�`1600 (1EV steps or 1/2EV steps or 1/3EV steps)
- Colour Depth: 8 bit (JPEG) or 12 bit (RAW)
- Still Image Size: JPEG: [10M] 3872 x 2592 pixels, [6M] 3008 x 2000 pixels, [2M] 1824 x 1216 pixels; RAW: [10M] 3872 x 2592 pixels
- File Format: RAW (Original Pentax PEF and DNG), JPEG (Conforms to Exif 2.21), Conforms to DCF (Design rule of Camera File system) 2.0
- Lens Mount: PENTAX KAF2 bayonet mount
- Usable lenses: PENTAX KAF2-, KAF-, and KA-mount lenses.
- Shutter Type: Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter
- Shutter Speed: 1/4000 - 30 sec. and bulb
- External Storage Media: SD memory card, SDHC memory card
- External LCD Panel Indication: (1) Shutter speed, (2) Aperture, (3) Flash mode (Flash-On, Red-eye reduction, Auto discharge, Auto, Flash Off), (4) Drive mode (Single frame/Continuous/Self-Timer/Auto bracket/Remote control), (5) EV compensation, (6) Battery level, (7) White balance, (8) ISO warning, (9) RAW/RAW+JPEG caputure, (10) Number of recordable images
- Viewfinder Type: Fixed molded penta-mirror type
- Viewfinder Focusing Screen: Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen
- Viewfinder Indication: (1) AF frame, (2) Spot AF frame, (3) Focus point indication (high lighted in red), (4) Shake Reduction, (5) Flash status, (6) Shutter speed, (7) Aperture, (8) Focus indicator, (9) Manual focus, (10) EV compensation, (11) AE lock indicator, (12) ISO warning; (13) Number of recordable images/EV compensation/Confirm sensitivity
Excerpt from Pentax K200D Press Release:
With an easy-to-use interface housed in a compact body, the new PENTAX K200D contains all the advanced imaging technology of the award winning K10D and is designed for users who may be unfamiliar with DSLR cameras but want a camera that will allow them to grow as they learn about photography. With 10.2 megapixels and a 2.7 inch wide view LCD, this model features many of the award winning advancements of the PENTAX Series including:
- Auto Picture and Scene modes that offer shooting ease, while advanced modes, such as the Sv mode, allow photographers to grow with the camera.
- A weather and dust resistant body, unique in this class of cameras, that allows photographers to keep shooting even in harsh conditions.
- Custom Image functions that allow users to select between six preset options and further adjust image processing, including saturation, hue, contrast and sharpness. The K200D also offers an Expanded Dynamic Range function that allows users to gain more contrast and detail in bright settings.
- An improved Dust Reduction system that features the new Dust Alert function to pinpoint the exact location of dust particles for the photographer to remove.
- A PENTAX-developed Shake Reduction (SR) system for sharp, blur-free images even under difficult shooting conditions, such as macro and telephoto photography or low light settings without a flash.